A city council candidate is calling on others on the ballot to join him in boycotting an upcoming candidates forum because a controversial Ward 1 candidate has also been invited.
In an email sent Monday to most other council candidates running in the Guelph, as well as the media, aspiring Ward 6 councillor Craig DiSero said he won’t be attending the Oct. 12 public forum organized by 10C and SDG Cities at 10C and has asked others to follow suit.
He further urged candidates from wards one, two and three who were invited to a similar public forum on Oct. 5 to join the boycott.
His problem is with Ward 1 candidate Thai Mac, who withdrew from the municipal election after offensive comments were discovered on social media, only to later reenter the election.
Contacted by GuelphToday, Mac declined to comment on the boycott, stating he was unaware of its existence. He previously told GuelphToday he wouldn’t be attending the Oct. 5 event because of a previous commitment.
“I have to stand by my personal principles,” DiSero’s email states. “Good people who believe in inclusivity and the value that each individual brings to our community need to stand together.
“The time for change is now. Integrity matters.”
A spokesperson for co-organizer SGD Cities said Monday afternoon they hadn't heard from any of the candidates invited to the two election forums.
Facing concerns about past online comments, Mac announced his withdrawal from the race on Sept. 9, though it came too late to be removed from ballot and his name remains on the ballot for the Oct. 24 election.