SUDBURY — Inside a courtroom at the provincial building downtown, the Sudbury byelection bribery trial got underway on Thursday.
The only witness called so far was Andrew Olivier, the man who hoped to be the Liberal candidate in the 2015 Sudbury byelection and the man whose secret recordings of prominent local Liberal Gerry Lougheed Jr. and former Ontario Liberal Party CEO Patricia Sorbara led to the scandal that led to the court case unfolding this month in the Nickel City.
But who else is slated to take the witness stand, you might be wondering?
The witness list is long and includes some high-profile members of the city’s and the province’s political class.
The list includes:
- Aaron St. Pierre, the former campaign manager for Olivier's 2015 election bid
- Sudbury MPP and Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault
- Premier Kathleen Wynne
- Former Sudbury MPP and cabinet minister Rick Bartolucci
- Dominic Giroux, the current CEO of Health Sciences North and the former president of Laurentian University (and the man who told the premier Thibeault wanted to jump ship, according to testimony today)
- Marianne Matichuk, the former mayor of the City of Greater Sudbury
- William Nurmi, the former president of the Liberal’s Sudbury Riding Association
- Simon Tunstall, executive director of the Ontario Liberal Party
- André Bisson, the former vice-president of the Liberal’s Sudbury Riding Association
- Darrell Marsh, former constituency assistant to Glenn Thibeault
- Brian Band, former communications director for Glenn Thibeault
- Vince Borg, past president of the Ontario Liberal Party