ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL OFFICER
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Lead Environmental Officer accountable for the Legacy Environmental Action Plan
- Develop and implement a long term monitoring plan for soil, groundwater and sediment
- Develop and implement focused environmental site assessments
- Develop and implement risk management, mitigation or remediation measures to prevent or reduce the risk of an off-site discharge
- Accountable to assist with monitoring and reporting of industrial effluent quality and waste management.
- Specifically: Federal and Provincial Water Quality Guidelines and Standards, MISA, O.Reg. 214/95, Permits to Take Water, 102/94, 103/94, 347/90, HWIN, PCB’s, TDG, WHMIS.
- Understand operational facilities, their environmental impacts and applicable legislation.
- Accountable for effective and accurate monitoring and reporting of substance releases to senior management and government agencies.
- Monitor compliance with Federal and Provincial legislation and Environmental Compliance Approvals and provide guidance to operating departments to meet acceptable standards.
- Provide periodic assistance in environmental laboratory as required.
- Develop bid specifications and manage purchase orders with external vendors.
- Work with government agencies, contract labs, consultants, contractors and the public.
- Plan appropriate monitoring programs and ensure timely sample collection and analysis.
- Select, maintain and operate various substance monitoring and sample collection equipment.
- Monitor substance release activities to ensure regulatory compliance and adherence to standard practices.
- Determine appropriate disposal methods for waste materials.
- Generate responses to government and public inquiries.
- Prepare applications for Environmental Compliance Approvals
- Assist, review and collaborate with the development and maintenance of ISO 14001 awareness, compliance and training for employees plant-wide.
- Ensure that procedures and practices are developed, implemented and monitored to support various pollution control and environmental management programs
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have BSc in Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent education and experience.
- Preferred 3-5 years experience in soil and groundwater water and industrial water quality monitoring and reporting.
- Strong working knowledge of:
- Industrial processes
- Environmental laws, regulations and government processes
- Chemistry, science and math
- Computer applications and spreadsheets
- ISO 14001
- Proficient in the use of Excel.
- Previous experience in a steel mill / industrial environment an asset.
- High degree of organizational skills with attention to detail.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com.
Fulltime Permanent Position
Work week – 40 hours
Salary Range - $78,845.28 - $85,510.68 (depending upon experience)
Extended Health Benefits package, Profit Sharing and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan