|Don’t be taken by surprise this winter. Take time now to prevent frozen pipes.
As a home or business owner, you can prevent frozen pipes on your property by taking these simple steps:
• Insulate water pipes, especially where they enter your home, where they run along outside walls, and in crawl spaces and attics. Be sure to use approved materials and follow installation safety instructions.
• Open doors to basements, laundry rooms and pantries to keep water pipes warm.
• Seal air leaks in your home and garage, especially in areas where water pipes are located.
• Keep garage doors closed if there are water pipes in the garage.
• Leave bathroom and kitchen cupboard doors open if your pipes run along an outside wall. Take care to remove household cleaners and other items that could harm children or pets.
• Shut off and drain pipes leading to outside faucets (e.g. garden hose).
• If you’re going away, talk to your insurance company about what you can do to protect your home from frozen pipes and leaks while you’re away.
• Be prepared for any emergency with a 72-hour emergency kit, learn how at guelph.ca/beprepared.
For more tips and information about frozen pipes, and to review the City’s Frozen Water Pipe Policy, visit guelph.ca/frozenpipes.