Be safe around garbage trucks.
Safety tips for drivers
• Slow down when approaching a truck.
• Look out for cyclists, pedestrians, and oncoming vehicles before attempting to pass a truck. The steering wheel is on the right side of the truck, so drivers may have difficulty seeing vehicles passing on the left.
• Avoid distractions like using your cell phone, radio or GPS while driving.
• Remember, trucks make frequent stops. Please keep back a safe distance when driving behind a truck.
• Park your vehicle at least 1 metre away from waste carts at the curb.
Safety tips for pedestrians and cyclists
• Stay back. Trucks have large blind spots, especially at the back and directly along the sides of the truck.
• If you can’t see the driver, the driver can’t see you. Only cross in front of a truck after you’ve made eye contact with the driver and receive an okay to cross.
• Use designated crosswalks when crossing roadways.
• Avoid distractions like using your cell phone while walking