Facemasks will still be mandatory in Guelph and Wellington County commercial establishments even though the province is moving to Stage 3 of reopening beginning Friday.
In addition to the previous exemptions (health issues, children under 2), customers in restaurants and bars will be able to remove facemasks while eating or drinking and those exercising or participating in an activity that requires physical exertion indoors –or where a mask might get wet – will also be allowed to temporarily remove their facemask.
Restaurants, bars and gyms will be allowed to open Friday, with limits on numbers and with physical distancing measures in place.
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health issued a revised version of the facemask order Tuesday, clarifying language around exemptions “to ensure commercial establishment(s) and members of the public know when face coverings are not required.”
“Moving to Phase 3 is a positive sign that we are making progress against this virus,” said Medical Officer of Health Dr. Nicola Mercer, “but, it doesn’t mean the pandemic is over.
“We must continue to balance health protection with economic progress in order to continue moving forward together. Each of us can continue to be there for each other by washing our hands, using hand sanitizer, maintaining physical distancing of two metres, and wearing a face covering where required. We all have a role to play as our region safely takes another step forward.”
The complete updated Public Health order making facemasks mandatory can be found here.
Masks are required at:
• Retail stores
• Convenience stores
• Restaurants/bars/taverns (not while eating or drinking)
• Personal service settings
• Grocery stores and bakeries
• Gas stations
• Farmer’s markets
• Areas of mechanics’ shops/garages/repair shops, which are open to the public
• Car dealerships
• Indoor play zones/arcades/art studios
• Cinemas/performing arts/theatres
• Indoor arenas/sporting venues as a spectator
• Public indoor tours of facilities
• Casinos/charitable gaming halls including horse racing (indoor areas)
• Fitness facilities/gyms/indoor sports facilities/studios (not while exercising)
• Common areas of hotels/motels