Local COVID Community Response Fund Sees Strong Early Support Individuals and corporations are encouraged to donate to the Guelph COVID-19 Response Fund online at guelphcf.ca or unitedwayguelph.com/Covid-19
UNITED WAY GUELPH
Launched last week, the Guelph COVID-19 Community Response Fund has seen strong early support from the community, raising more than $15,000 on the first day. Thanks to the generous grant from the Hugh and Lorna Guthrie Fund, which provided $10,000 in matching funds, a total of $25,000 was raised on launch day.
More than $55,000 was donated to the fund in the first week through both United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin and the Guelph Community Foundation, demonstrating the generosity and readiness of the local community to help the most vulnerable in our community. “The response from the community has been nothing short of amazing”, says Colleen Murdoch, Communications Director & Acting Director, Community Impact with the United Way Guelph, Wellington and Dufferin.
“This quick action by the people of our community means we’re able to support the critical work that is caring for the most vulnerable in our communities. We are grateful that in this time of need our friends, family and neighbours have stepped up to make a difference in the lives of those who need it most. It is inspiring to see the #LocalLove in our community.”
Local not-for-profits and charities have already been applying for grants from the Guelph COVID Fund, with a total of $88,000 in applications already submitted. Organizations that have received early support through the fund include:
- Chalmers Community Services Centre - Food Pantry Post COVID-19 - will provide continued food supports for those in need
- Hope House - will support emergency food and support services
Chris Willard, Executive Director of The Guelph Community Foundation, says “What is so important is not only the generosity but also the speed that donations are being made. People need immediate assistance and we’re now in a position to support the first group of applications. We know organizations will need more support in the coming days, weeks and the requests will continue to come in. That’s why we’re so grateful that another $5,000 of matching funds have been generously donated. Keep it coming Guelph, with your help, we’ll all get through this together.”
The #GuelphCOVIDfund is currently focused on the Respond step of our three-step plan: Respond, Recover, Rebuild. During the Respond step, the fund is supporting organizations addressing the most urgent needs of those struggling in our community such as:
- Basic needs – ensure people have access to life’s essentials, such as food
- Housing – ensure those who are experiencing homelessness have adequate shelter and support to self-isolate
- Help for seniors – ensure that while vulnerable people are isolated, they are also supported
- Capacity for community services – ensure that community partners can continue to do their vital local work
- Mental health support – enable crisis lines and system navigation services
- Support for volunteers – helping those who work to support others
Local notfFor-profits and charities seeking to help those in need during the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to apply for grants online at unitedwayguelph.com/covid19application. Individuals and corporations are encouraged to donate to the Community Response Fund online at guelphcf.ca, unitedwayguelph.com/Covid-19 or alternately via mail to either organization.