Archaeological recovery efforts continue at the former Baker Street parking lot, with additional grave shafts and discoveries of distinct human remains in the past month.
In their latest update post, made Friday, city officials say the work there is 80 per cent complete. The city-owned site, a former cemetery, is being cleared in anticipation of a redevelopment project on the property.
Since the May update, efforts have uncovered 16 additional grave shafts (112 so far) as well as 18 distinct discoveries of human remains (86 and counting).
The archaeological study is expected to wrap up by the end of this month. It began in late September.
“The last remaining section of roadway to clear is Park Lane south (the area south of the Wellington County parking lot),” the post notes, adding Baker Street, Chapel Lane and Park Lane north have been cleared at this point.
“As crews continue to clear the roadways, they also continue clearing the southern portion of the Baker District site (where the new Guelph Central Library will be constructed). This work will continue over the next few weeks.”
Also included in the study is the small Wyndham Street parking lot which sits directly beside the main lot.
Once the clearance work is completed, all remains found will be documented and re-interred at Woodlawn Memorial Park cemetery.
The parking lot was permanently closed at the end of September in order to allow for the archaeological work to get underway.
Used as a cemetery for 26 years, the triangular block that is the currently Baker Street municipal parking lot was the site of an all-faith cemetery from 1827 to 1853.