Skip to content

Electrical fire destroys trailer near Puslinch Lake

Fire was contained to a single trailer and no injuries were reported
A trailer near Puslinch Lake was a total loss after an electrical fire.

PUSLINCH – A Puslinch fire official is reminding the public to make sure their trailers are insured after an electrical fire destroyed one near Puslinch Lake.

Brent Smith, chief fire prevention officer with Puslinch Fire and Rescue, said in a phone interview a call came in at 7:50 p.m. Tuesday evening for a structure fire out near Puslinch Lake at McClintock’s Trailer Resort. 

The Cambridge fire department was also on the scene, arriving first. 

Smith said the structure was an older trailer with a large addition on the side and it was completely engulfed. 

“It was a complete loss, the loss of the trailer and the contents,” Smith said, putting a damage estimate between $35,000 and $50,000. 

The fire is not considered suspicious and has been determined to be an electrical fire as arcing was noticed in the corner of the trailer where the fire originated. 

There were no injuries as the owner was out of the country and hadn’t been there in months. The fire also didn’t spread to any other trailers, which Smith credited to fire responders’ action, the wind direction and the fire being detected relatively fast. 

However, Smith noted the trailer was uninsured which will end up being a pricey problem for the owner. 

“The person has to get someone in there, pay someone to take it out of there, right so that’s a cost, then replacing it all,” Smith said, stressing proper coverage and encouraging home owners to understand their own policies.

He also noted smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are required in trailers.

Reader Feedback

Keegan Kozolanka

About the Author: Keegan Kozolanka

Keegan Kozolanka is a general assignment reporter for EloraFergusToday, covering Wellington County. Keegan has been working with Village Media for more than two years and helped launch EloraFergusToday in 2021.
Read more