A generator being used by a roofing company exploded, causing a fire at an Elizabeth Street storage company around noon Monday.
Staff Sgt. Tim Griffiths of the Guelph Police said they received a 911 call just before noon regarding a fire at Guelph SelfStorageCo.ca at 420 Elizabeth St., between Victoria Road and York Road.
Fire, ambulance and police were on the scene quickly and the fire was dealt with, although some fire inside roofing insulation took roughly an hour to fully extinguish.
Griffiths said there were no injuries.
Clint Budnick of Bolton-based Superior Spray Foam said he and three co-workers were spraying polyeurothene foam on the large flat roof, sealing and insulating it when they heard a large bang.
"There was a loud bang and lots of smoke," Budnick said.
He said the explosion was a generator mounted on the back of the crew's 5-tonne truck.
Budnick said he quickly ran to the edge of the roof to check on a fourth crew member who was near the explosion on the ground.
"He was only three feet away from it when it went. He's okay, but he's pretty shook up," Budnick said.
The cause of the explosion and damage estimate were not immediately known.