Girls and Guitars will be joined by Queers on Quebec Street this weekend as part of Downtown Guelph’s annual Hillside Inside festivities.
Girls and Guitars includes school workshops, a songwriting course, and this weekend’s Hillside Inside showcases. They are designed encourage and promote the power of female creativity” says the Hillside website.
Queers on Quebec Street features five queer musicians and singers “who will entertain shoppers, café-dawdlers, music-lovers, and all manner of curious folk who will help us put the rush on spring by having these artists blossom before us,” said a news release.
“It’s the perfect place, then, to showcase artists who are often peripheralized, giving visibility to people we don’t often see and voices to people who are often silenced by discrimination,” said the HIllside Inside release.
Girls and Guitars is a Hillside Inside tradition features singer-songwriters performing in storefronts in Downtown Guelph from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., featuring a different performer in a different venue every 30 minutes.
The venues are all somewhat unusual—a bicycle store, a music shop, boutiques. The Quebec Street shows are part of a new initiative we are piloting, Queers on Quebec Street, which will complement Girls and Guitars and keep the progressive party going into the afternoon.
These performers are at different stages of their careers, some full-time professionals and some fairly new to the scene, says Hillside Inside.
Saturday’s schedule is as follows:
- 10 a.m.: Guelph Music (20 Carden St.) - Hillside’s songwriting students: Clarissa Shepherd, Jaime Daub, Rosie Kubinec, Emeshe Nagy-Zambo
- 10:30 a.m.: Pod Design (50 Carden St.) - Mov
- 11 a.m.: (Queers of Quebec Street) Miijidaa Cafe and Bistro - Janice Jo Lee
- 11:30 a.m.: (Queers of Quebec Street) Fallowfield - Sandy Stubbert
- 12 p.m.: (Queers of Quebec Street) On the Verge - LAL
- 12:30 p.m.: (Queers of Quebec Street) Acqua - Regina Gently
- 1 p.m.: (Queers of Quebec Street) The Truth Beauty Company - Evangeline Gentle
- 1:30 p.m.: Coriander (112 Wyndham St.) - Dani Saldo
- 2 p.m.: Speed River Bicycle (135 Wyndham St.) - The Waverlys