A third case of monkeypox was confirmed in the region on Wednesday.
The most recent case is a 50 to 60-year-old man from Wellington County, which makes two positive cases in Wellington County and one in Guelph.
The first case was identified on June 17 as a Guelph man in his 20s; the second was a man in his 60s who was visiting Wellington County last month.
There was a fourth probable case recorded, but Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health spokesperson Danny Williamson said this was the fault of a data entry error that has since been corrected.
In an earlier release, associate medical officer of health Dr. Matthew Tenenbaum said there is no increased risk of monkeypox to the general public, as the virus is “primarily transmitted through contact with fluid from the virus’ lesions.”
However, residents are encouraged to watch for symptoms like fever, headache, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes and a rash or lesions that begin on the face or genitals before spreading further.
As of this week, there are 423 confirmed cases of monkeypox in Ontario. Only 2.6 per cent of those cases have been hospitalized, as most people recover without treatment.