Skip to content

Two Guelph General Hospital employees test positive for COVID-19 (Updated)

The two individuals do not live in Guelph
20181204 Guelph General Hospital Sign KA
Guelph General Hospital. GuelphToday file photo

Update: This story has been updated to include comment from Guelph General Hospital.


Two employees of Guelph General Hospital have tested positive for COVID-19.

Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health confirmed the two cases to media Tuesday around noon.

Public Health spokesperson Danny Williamson said the two employees are not residents of Guelph but do work at the hospital.

Guelph General hospital said one worker was at home when they became ill and the other left work immediately after falling ill.

Because their place of residence is outside WDG Public Health's coverage area, they were technically recorded as positive cases for another health unit.

It is not yet known which department the individuals worked in or what their role was at the hospital.

Public Health is in the process of confirming when the cases were confirmed.

On Monday a man in his 80s was confirmed as the city's first COVID-19 case and previously a man in his 60s was recovering from the virus at hospital in Mount Forest. Another man in Orangeville has also tested positive.

Guelph General Hospital released the following statement Tuesday afternoon:

Guelph General Hospital recently learned that two of its healthcare workers tested positive for COVID-19. One was at home when symptoms developed. The other stopped working immediately when feeling ill. Both are now self-isolating at home.

“Keeping staff and patients safe is our top priority,” says Marianne Walker, President and CEO. “Unfortunately, COVID-19 is now in the wider community and everyone, including our staff, need to be extremely vigilant and follow Public Health’s directions. At GGH, we’ll continue to explore ways we can do even more to keep people safe.”

Over the past months, the Hospital has made many changes to help protect both staff and patients. Cleaning has been increased, visiting is tightly restricted, active screening is being done on everyone at a controlled entrance and all elective surgeries and procedures have been cancelled.

For weeks, staff at the Hospital have been self-screening before every shift. “Even with this new development our message to our staff is the same as it is to the community we serve,” explains Walker. “Wash your hands often. Practice social distancing. Self-monitor for symptoms such as a fever, new cough or shortness of breath. If you are sick, stay home and self-isolate. We are thankful our staff are following this protocol.”

“This is a difficult and challenging time for everyone. The commitment and professionalism of our staff continues to humble me. And, we so appreciate all the support we’re receiving from our community.”