Do you know what it takes to keep the lights on in Guelph, or get them back on when a storm hits?
Or what kind of equipment keeps power line technicians safe when they’re working with up to 13,800 volts of electricity?
Find out this Saturday, April 23, 2016, when Guelph Hydro opens its doors to the public as part of Doors Open Guelph.
It’s not every day that members of the public are given a behind-the-scenes look at a modern electric utility, but that’s exactly what is happening at this Doors Open Guelph tour stop.
Guelph Hydro tour highlights include:
- The chance to see Guelph Hydro’s LEED® certified facility
- “Touch-a-Truck” display, featuring specialized trucks and Guelph Hydro’s electric van
- Safe, hands-on power line activities for children
- Interactive information displays including electrical safety, energy conservation and LED lighting
- A behind-the-scenes look at what happens when the power goes out
- Information about solar power installations at Guelph Hydro’s Southgate office and Arlen transformer station
Don’t miss out on your chance to take an up close and personal view of what it takes to keep the lights on in Guelph.
When: April 23, 2016, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: 395 Southgate Drive, Guelph, ON N1G 4Y1
About Doors Open Guelph
Doors Open Guelph is a day-long celebration of Guelph's finest buildings, creative spaces and artistically or architecturally relevant sites. The program aims to showcase and celebrate the hidden gems as well as the great resources, businesses and creative spaces in Guelph.
Doors Open Guelph is a program of Guelph Arts Council. Guelph Arts Council is a not-for-profit, charitable community arts council. For more information, visit: www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/guelph
About Guelph Hydro Electric Systems Inc.
Guelph Hydro Electric Systems Inc. delivers a safe and reliable supply of electricity to more than 54,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Guelph and Rockwood and promotes energy conservation in the community.
The company is owned by Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. which is, in turn, owned by the City of Guelph. For more information, visit: www.guelphhydro.com.