Skip to content

Guelph United win buoys playoff hopes

Guelph Union still in playoff hunt after weekend draw
Carter Robart.

In a dog fight for a playoff spot, Guelph United came up with a huge 1-0 win over Vaughan Azzurri on Fathers' Day at Centennial Bowl.

An incredible performance from goaltender Carter Robart was deemed the key to garnering the three points.

Dion Stergiotis opened the scoring early, in the 11th minute, after a mistake in Vaughan’s defense. But, as time passed and Vaughan started creating more and more opportunities, it was Robart who stole the show. Save after save, he denied clear-cut scoring chances from one of the best attacking teams in the league. More than 12 shots saved, many of them one-on-one opportunities, including one penalty.

“I don’t think there are words to describe his performance. I don’t know what’s better than unbelievable”, said Guelph United head coach Justin Springer in a submitted report. “The amount of crucial saves that he made… there were probably three moments where he made back-to-back-to-back saves. To say that he was a crucial part of today’s win would be a massive, massive understatement.“

The 20-year-old goalkeeper registered his fourth clean sheet of the season.

“Vaughan is one of the best teams in the league, this was one of those games where you try your best to do everything to get the win, and the guys in front of me were really working hard, so I really had to give it all to get the win tonight,” said Robart.

Guelph United, now in sixth place in a very crowded top of the League1 Ontario standings, will next travel to Whitby, to face Darby FC on Friday, before coming back home on Tuesday, June 27, for a match against Windsor City FC.


In the second game of the Fathers' Day doubleheader, Guelph Union managed to obtain a hard-fought draw against St. Catharine's Roma Wolves. The result sees our ladies remain in 14th place, now six points behind the final playoff spot.

Union started the game slow, and the guests opened the scoring early, in the 6th minute, Maia MacLean taking advantage of some space in the middle of the defense. In the 24th minute, Guelph tied the game, through an amazing free-kick goal from Sydney Vanderhoef. The second half was also back and forth, the Wolves taking the lead once again through Demi Maroudas, before Justine Rodrigues tied the game for good, in the 74th minute.

Guelph Union has two more home games coming up next week. On Wednesday June 21, we are welcoming Tecumseh SC, before facing Vaughan Azzurri, on Sunday.


Verified reader

If you would like to apply to become a verified commenter, please fill out this form.