Skip to content

Male springs friend from back of police cruiser and the chase was on

More details emerge about arrest of non-students at U of G campus party
20190614 Guelph Police Service KA
Kenneth Armstrong/GuelphToday file photo

Guelph police are sharing more details about arrests made at an on-campus party at the University of Guelph.

Two young males were arrested early Saturday during a large gathering on the U of G campus, including a 17-year-old who helped his friend escape from a police cruiser.

Guelph police officers were working with campus police to monitor a large gathering involving hundreds of students in an outdoor area. The U of G has put the number at the gathering on Johnston Green at around 1,000.

At approximately 1 a.m. a fight broke out between two males in the crowd. Officers were able to separate the males, however one of them was very aggressive and grabbed an officer’s arms while yelling and trying to fight.

After several warnings the male was arrested for causing a disturbance. As officers were attempting to walk him to a campus police cruiser, several people in the crowd attempted to intervene and pull the male away from officers. When officers reached the cruiser they discovered the windshield smashed and a side mirror torn off.

Officers were able to place the male in the rear seat, but were temporarily blocked from leaving the scene by several people standing in front of the cruiser. At this time, the rear driver’s side door was opened by a second male, allowing his friend to escape.

Both males, one of whom had his hands cuffed behind his back, were arrested following a brief foot pursuit. Neither arrested male is a student at the U of G or any other school.

An 18-year-old Shelburne male is charged with causing a disturbance by fighting, resisting a peace officer and escaping lawful custody. He will appear in a Guelph court Jan. 7.

A 17-year-old Durham Region male is charged with assisting in an escape and possessing a fraudulent driver’s licence. He will appear in a Guelph court Jan. 5.