Headaches and migraines are extremely common. Over 1 billion people worldwide suffer from migraines. Many living with migraines are between the ages of 18-44, however, younger and older people also get them. Also, almost double the number of women than men suffer from migraines.
Guelph Rehab Centre’s Headache & Migraine Program gives fast and effective relief! We’ve found the perfect combination and delivery approach that will get the results you are looking for.
There are about 200 different causes for headaches and several types of headaches. Migraines are the most severe in nature, however, the most common headache is a tension-type headache. Tension-type headaches are usually a constant dull pain with a tight feeling, or pressure at the back of your head and neck or around your forehead. A migraine is intense headache pain often accompanied with a combination of nausea or even vomiting, sensitivity to light, and/or blurred vision to name a few of the many symptoms.
The second most common is cervicogenic headache. A cervicogenic headache occurs when there are anatomical (nerve, joint, muscle) issues in the neck causing radiating pain to the head, jaw, eyes, and face. It is often from neck trauma (i.e., concussion, whiplash) or micro-trauma (i.e., poor posture, repetitive strain). Tension and cervicogenic headaches can be one of many triggers of a migraine.
There are various treatment options, and each is dependent upon the type of headache you are experiencing. We have seen many patients benefit from physical treatment intervention when appropriately administered along with an active care program.
- Restricted muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Trigger points
- Adhesions/scar tissue
- Nerve entrapments
- Poor posture/spinal malalignment
- Improper body mechanics
- Repetitive strain
Guelph Rehab Centre’s unique collaborative team approach provides effective results often after just a few sessions!
We integrate a customized combination of 6 key components for cervicogenic and tension-type headaches:
- Manual therapy (Active Release Therapy, Myofascial Release, Joint Mobilization) for nerve entrapments in tight muscles and restricted joints.
- Spinal Decompression (computerized decompression table) For Nerve compression in spinal joints.
- Modalities (i.e. Cold Low-Level Laser) For inflammation and muscle spasms.
- Acupuncture (Medical Acupuncture & Dry needling) Medically proven to effectively treat trigger points in the neck related to cervicogenic headaches.
- Postural education and correction.
- Active rehabilitation (i.e. customized exercise program for stretching and strengthening) & Lifestyle/Homecare program. Beneficial for self-management and long-term benefits.
Some people that come to us for our Headache & Migraine Program have already had physiotherapy, massage therapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture and may have received them at different times or perhaps combined but from different facilities. Our healthcare teams’ true collaborative approach ensures you are receiving focused treatment that maximizes your time while in the clinic and addresses the main causes of your headache without overlap or redundancy of care. Our expertise with headaches combined with our unique approach is the secret to our successful Headache Program.
We understand the issues headache sufferers face so we’ve ensured your initial visit can be scheduled the same day or at the latest within one business day.
For more information or to schedule your initial consultation you can visit the website or call the clinic directly at 519-265-7343.