The County of Wellington has put out a call for landlords with vacant units to help re-home the 34 residents displaced by the Wyndham Street fire on March 13.
The former tenants of 148 Wyndham St. N. were put up in hotels throughout Guelph after the fire, and have been living there ever since.
Mark Poste, director of housing with the County of Wellington Housing Services said he hopes the call will help expedite their search for housing.
They are looking for a total of 17 one, two and three-bedroom units to rent, as some households are individuals and some are families. Poste said the County will support the households with first and last month’s rent.
There is no timeline for how long they can stay in the hotels, and no deadline for when the County needs to have found housing by, but Poste said they hope to be able to rehome everyone as quickly as possible.
“It is in the best interest of those impacted by the fire to get into a permanent place to call home, as with anyone that is experiencing a destabilization of their housing,” he said.
“Finding units is the primary concern today, but once units are found, the focus will shift to how the community could help the families make these places their home,” he said. “We have already seen different groups reaching out with interest to provide different supports, which has been nice to see.”
⚠️NOTICE⚠️Housing Services is looking to Guelph landlords to help re-house 34 residents who lost their homes due to the March 13 Wyndham Street fire. If you have vacant one, two, or three-bedroom market-based units available to rent, contact [email protected]. pic.twitter.com/9CZ5amQVW9— County of Wellington (@wellingtncounty) April 21, 2023