GUELPH MARLIN AQUATIC CLUB
The Guelph Marlin Aquatic Club (GMAC) had a whirlwind weekend of racing and travelled near and far as the season end fast approached for some.
The Guelph Marlins are proud to report their outstanding performance at the Western Regional Swimming Long Course Championships in Windsor, Ont., this past weekend. Our 45 qualified swimmers showed remarkable skill and tenacity throughout the meet, and we are thrilled to report that our team achieved a seventh-place finish overall.
The meet was held over three days and featured over 24 teams from across the region. Our swimmers participated in various events, ranging from 50-meter sprints to 800-meter swims. Each swimmer was determined to succeed and pushed themselves to their limits.
“We are incredibly proud of our swimmers for their hard work and dedication. Their impressive performance is a testament to the talent and perseverance of our swimmers,” said Laura Nicholls, GMAC’s director of Age Group and Development and two-time Olympian.
Over at the Age Group International Meet in Etobicoke, seven Marlins swimmers took to the pool and showed some outstanding results. These swimmers were over-qualified for Regionals, and this meet allowed them to compete on a bigger stage.
Highlights from the meet include Matthew Marsella's 1,500 m free CJC cut, Alex G's 100 Fly Easterns cut, Fynn O’Rourke’s OYJ cuts and 12 and under High Point Winner.
“Marlins swimmers were on a mission to perform, and they did just that this weekend at the Etobicoke meet,” said Becky Randall, Guelph Marlin’s Coach, former Marlins swimmer and American University swimmer.
And finally, we head across to B.C., where teammate Jenna Walters was selected to represent Swim Ontario to compete at Mel Zajac International meet, where she earned herself best times, notably in the 200 free with a personal best. Racing again, Olympian Maggie MacNeil in the 50 free racks up to another eye-opening experience for Jenna competing against some of the best swimmers.
Looking ahead, the Guelph Marlins will be competing at Ontario Festivals with 11 qualified swimmers and Ontario Youth Juniors with seven qualified swimmers. These meets will take place the weekend of June 16-18 at the Etobicoke Olympium and the Markham Pan AM pools, respectively.
Top 3 results Western Regional Long Course
- 50 Free – Alexli Y – 3rd, Aly – 1st, Harrison – 1st
- 100 Free – Charlotte H – 2nd, Caelan W – 3rd, Jacob M – 1st, Aidan D – 3rd
- 200 Free – Aly L – 2nd, Harrison 2nd, Brianne R – 3rd
- 800 Free – Aidan D – 3rd
- 50 Back – Fiona L – 2nd, Charles H – 1st, Aidan D – 2nd, Noah K – 3rd,
- 100 Back – Alexli Y – 2nd, Fiona L -2nd, Caelan W – 2nd, Charles H – 3rd, Noah K – 1st, Aidan D – 2nd
- 200 Back – Nadia G – 3rd, Alexli Y – 2nd, Charlotte H – 2nd, Caelan W – 1st, Charles H – 3rd, Aidan D – 3rd
- 50 Fly – Madden T- 2nd, Alexli Y – 3rd, Aly L – 2nd, Noah K -2nd
- 100 Fly – Aly L – 1st, Harrison – 2nd, Fiona L – 3rd, Nathan H – 3rd, Noah K – 1st
- 200 Fly – Faith L – 2nd
- 50 Breast – Allison M – 1st
- 100 Breast – Fiona L – 3rd
- 200 Breast – Allison M – 1st
- 200IM – Nadia G – 3rd, Fiona L – 2nd, Noah K – 2nd
- 400IM – Aly L- 1st, Harrison H – 1st
- Qualifying Cuts Festivals: Charlotte H – 100 Free, Charlie H 100 Back, Nathan H 100 Fly, Aly L 200 free, 400IM, 100 Fly, 50 Free, Caelan W – 100 Back, Harrison H – 400 IM, 200 free, Matthew E – 50 Free, Nadia G – 200IM, Alexli Y – 50 Free, 100 back, 200 Back
- Top 3 results Age Group International:
- 50 Free – Fynn O- 2nd
- 100 Free – Fynn O – 2nd
- 200 Free – Fynn O – 1st, Ali K – 2nd
- 400 Free – Fynn O – 1st
- 1500 Free – Matthew M – 1st
- 50 Back – Fynn O – 1st, Andrea L – 3rd, Julian T -3rd
- 100 Back – Fynn O – 2nd
- 200 Back – Fynn O – 1st
- 50 Fly – Julian T – 3rd
- 100 Fly – Fynn O – 2nd
- 200IM – Fynn O – 3rd
- Qualifying Cuts: Matthew M – 1500M Free CJC, Alex G 100m Fly – Easterns
- Jenna Walters Top Results at Mel Zac International:
- 200 Free – 4th
- 800 Free relay – 1st
- 100 Free – 2nd