YMCA-YWCA OF GUELPH
Nominations for the 2018 Women of Distinction It Takes A Village season launched on Thursday, Oct. 19, at the Guelph Y Power of Being a Girl Conference.
The 2018 Women of Distinction Fundraising Gala will take place on Thursday, May 3, 2018 at the River Run Centre. The 2018 Women of Distinction season will focus on the theme of It Takes a Village.
The goal this year is to make the event more inclusive, accessible, and impactful than ever before. In addition to celebrating the honourees, it is important to recognize and include the individuals in that woman’s life who have helped her achieve such extraordinary accomplishments.
In 2018, the fundraising gala will celebrate the achievement of 20 remarkable role models, pioneers, and outstanding achievers.
Women of Distinction Award Categories:
- Arts and Culture
- Community Champion
- Education, Training and Mentorship
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Healthy, Wellness and Fitness
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
- Trades and Labour
- Young Woman of Distinction (16 to 21 years)
Marissa Teeter, 2018 Women of Distinction Honorary Chair shares, “Being a part of this remarkable community is such an honour and this year we want everyone from family members, to coworkers and community champions to be celebrated for their support of these remarkable Women of Distinction. These amazing women build villages up, have villages that surround them and support them, and together these 20 honourees will join a new village, a new community of Women of Distinction.”
Not only does Women of Distinction honour remarkable women in our community, the event is also a fundraiser to support a significant amount of community initiatives that the Guelph Y leads.
Currently 1 in 5 members are able to access the Guelph Y because of financial support and fundraisers such as Women of Distinction allow the Guelph Y to ensure that no child or family is left behind in our community.
The Fundraising Gala specifically supports programs for girls and women at all stages of life in Guelph and Wellington County, including:
- Power of Being a Girl – a one day conference for girls that helps build self-esteem and raises awareness about healthy relationships
- Teenage Parents Program (TAPPs) – a program that supports the personal growth and development of pregnant and parenting teens and their families and connects them with valuable resources
- Encore – a holistic program for women with breast cancer to help them build their own physical strength, as well as feel the strength and support of a community
To learn more about each of the award categories and how to nominate a woman of distinction in your life, please visit the Guelph Y website.