Update: This article has been updated with comment from St. Joseph's.
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health has confirmed Guelph's first case of COVID-19.
The case was confirmed at St. Joseph's Health Centre on Westmount Road. The person is a patient on one of the centre's post-acute units.
Public Health spokesperson Chuck Ferguson confirmed the case and said Public Health would be releasing more information on Tuesday morning.
It is the second reported case in Wellington County. On the weekend a man was reported to be recovering from COVID-19 at Louise Marshall Hospital in Mount Forest.
Another person in Public Health's coverage area was diagnosed in Orangeville.
In a news release, St. Joe's president David Wormald issued the following statement.
“We realize that this news is concerning. SJHCG is following all directives from public health authorities on precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
A news release said St. Joe's has strong processes in place for infection prevention and control that align with the directives they are receiving from public health authorities.
"With the rapidly changing situation related to the pandemic and news about increasing cases in the broader community, SJHCG took proactive steps last week to protect the safety of staff, residents and patients as a precautionary measure. These measures have included actively screening everyone entering our facility; restricting visitors, including our volunteers; and, temporarily closing outpatient and ambulatory programs," said the news release.
“We are all thinking about our staff, our patients and their families at this time,” added Wormald. “All of us at St. Joseph’s are ready to provide excellent care to all patients and residents, today and always.”