Six workers from Cargill's meat processing facility on Dunlop Drive were sent home Friday after testing positive for COVID-19.
The information was confirmed by the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), the union that represents 70,000 workers at meat processing facilities in Ontario.
Earlier this week, two workers tested positive at the same plant and were sent home, according to UFCW.
“As of today there are eight positive workers in the plant and they’ve all been sent to isolate and are going to be paid by the employer for a 14-day period,” said Tim Deelstra, engagement and media relations strategist for UFCW Locals 175 and 633.
Cargill's facility on Dunlop Drive previously had one positive case of COVID-19 in April and three in May.
“We’re following up with the employer and are going to take any steps that we can to make sure people are as healthy and safe as possible,” said Deelstra.
Daniel Sullivan, communications officer for Cargill Canada said the workers who tested positive were not working at the time and are currently quarantining at home and receiving medical care and support. Cargill is continuing to operate the plant.
"We have conducted contact tracing and are working with local health officials to monitor the situation. We have mitigation plans in place to limit the spread of the virus and put safety first. We also continue to work closely with health officials to ensure effective prevention, cleaning and quarantine protocols are followed within our facilities and beyond," said Sullivan.
According to Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health, Friday had the highest number of COVID-19 cases in Guelph with 30 cases in a single day since reporting began.